This page has moved to a new address.

Why Are Christians So Defensive?

Think Christianly: Why Are Christians So Defensive?

Monday, April 23, 2012

Why Are Christians So Defensive?

There are several factors. But I think lack of knowledge is a big one. Nancy Pearcey explains how this works, “Generations of churched youngsters have been encouraged to shore up their religious commitment by sheer will power, closing their eyes and ears to contrary ideas. This explains why so many churches are full of people who are closed-minded, dogmatic, harsh and judgmental. Only people who understand that Christianity is true to the real world are capable of the relaxed confidence that allows them to be open, patient, and loving toward those who differ from them."

We need to raise up a new generation of Christians who know what they believe, why they believe it, and why it matters in life (1 Peter 3:15; Col. 4:5-6; 2 Cor. 5:20). Christians need a holistic vision for life that is integrated and compelling. Here is one place to start.

Think Christianly with Jonathan Morrow



Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Austin Gravley said...

Well said. I know that I personally have gotten less and less defensive the more I have learned about other viewpoints and how to defend my own. In fact, I know when I am being defensive when I choose to be arrogant and speak on a subject that I don't have much knowledge on - and then get hammered in return.

April 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. Although, a very sensitive topic, I think you nailed it in this post.

I think I just found a new daily blog to read...

May 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home